Thursday, April 03, 2008

Journal 9

Viewing the Star Trek episode, I think it was easy to forget that Data was in fact a robot. Except for the fact that he is a little on the pale side, and he is somewhat naive, he looks like a human. I think, at least for me, the more a robot resembles an actual human, the harder it is to think about them as machines. I have no problem shutting off a computer monitor or anything else that looks like a machine, but when the machine looks like you and me, it is a different story. It would have been sad if they had allowed Data to be used for research. On the other hand, if it had been talking about shutting down the office workers in the other video we watched, I wouldn't have given it much thought. Then again, both accounts are only "Hollywood". In reality I don't know that I would be comfortable with any AI, no matter what the form.

No comments: