Friday, April 04, 2008

Robots and Humanity

After watching the Star Trek episode, I found myself asking many questions concerning our humanity. For instance, what makes us human? What differentiates us from every other object or being?

I cannot answer these questions in simple statements, underlining the important details and highlighting the apparent differences. For me, being “human” can neither be defined nor referred to as a state of being. Many “beings” are conscious, aware of themselves and others, and learn from their experiences. Without doubt, these questions are impossible to answer. We have enough trouble trying to define ourselves as individuals. Why do we think it will be easier to define humanity?

Thus, I am content to revel in the ambiguity of humanity. Although the episode did not necessarily answer the questions I posed, I believe it dealt with the difficult subject quite effectively. I was able to realize and analyze two sides of a multi-faceted argument while still sympathizing with the android Data. It was very well done.

No comments: