Thursday, April 03, 2008

AI Response

While watching the movie one thing that really got my attention and I don't know if it was ever sufficiently answered is why Joe was going to be in trouble. Would he actually be capable of killing the woman? Or was he not allowed to take part in adultery? You would think if it was him being accused of the murder, then it would be simple for them to replay his memory and see that it was not him. Either way if either of these two things were what he would be in trouble for wouldn't he be programmed not to do either? Would they pin the murder on him just, because of the attitude some had against the robots?

Another thought that I had is that it still makes me wonder how we can get a proper feel for how we would perceive a robot boy, because in the movie he is played as a real boy. I understand that David is supposed to be undistinguishable from a real boy, but maybe that is impossible and if we were watching an actual robot possibly computer generated for the movie the audience would feel completely different.

Also, out of pure jealousy if there were robots like Joe, then they would be hated. Spouses would be constantly afraid of their significant other cheating on them. I would definitely see flesh fairs as a real possibility. For the same reason people like to watch trucks run over cars they just think the destruction is exciting. Combine that with the moving parts of robots and hatred some people will hold for them and it would be even bigger. The people in the crowd of the flesh fair reminded me of those you would see at a monster truck show or something.

While I felt sympathetic for David when he was about to be destroyed at the flesh fair I don't think it was as bad as I would have felt had it been a real boy. A little bit of sympathy was felt for every robot, but that doesn't make them human. People feel bad when animals are mistreated.

No comments: