Tuesday, April 29, 2008

13: Cyborgs

Haraway has an interesting way of looking at cyborgs. This is something that I never thought of. When I thought of cyborgs I traditionally thought of creatures like the Borg in star trek. I think about a half robot half human. Thinking of us being cyborgs simply because we have running shoes is interesting. There are lots of technological advances that have occured in the existence of humans. Maybe this is an evolution to a new level, or maybe it is just people learning better how to use resources to make things that improve their lives. Does wearing tennis shoes make me a cyborg? I don't think so. I think this may be just because I have always had such a different view of what a cyborg is. I think that we maybe cyborgs already but for a different reason. I tend to think it is our connection with computers and the internet that makes us cyborgs. Its these computers that bring us closer to becoming cyborgs because it brings us closer to finding technology to create robots. With this technology we could actually become half man half computer. I think the computer is already such a part of most of our lives that the connection is there.

No comments: