Monday, April 21, 2008

Journal 14

When I hear the term Cyborg, movies such as The Terminator come to mind. I have never thought about "humans" being cyborgs. After reading some of Haraway's article, I guess you don't have to be able to peel your skin back to be a cyborg. We have medical technology available today that can give people the chance to live longer or to regain the ability to walk or use their arm. Many more people are choosing to have plastic surgery to correct a deformity or simply to change something that they don't like about themselves. Either way they may end up with artificial materials in their bodies. I think that most people hope that medical technology can continue to advance and produce more artificial organs and limbs. I know several people who have received organ transplants. However, many don't make it long enough to find a match. Think of all the patients who could benefit from artificial hearts, lungs, or kidneys. I guess we can be happy in this way to be cyborgs

No comments: