Friday, April 04, 2008

AI Response

I am finding it extremely difficult to formulate a decisive opinion about the film AI. Although an interesting movie with all the elements needed to create a thought-provoking story, I am troubled by my indecisiveness concerning my own reactions to the film. Usually when I watch a movie, I am able to decide immediately upon finishing it whether I like it or whether I do not. However, this particular film is decidedly difficult to characterize or put in either category.

In truth, I believe this “on the fence” reaction is a direct effect of the conflicting themes and values presented in the film. On the one hand, robots are presented as the bane of society, representing everything that biological humans are not. One of the most interesting and disturbing scenes in the movie is the “Flesh Fair” scene. It strongly reminded me of the atrocities that occurred in the Colosseum in Rome – the barbarism of the gladiators and the viciousness of the lions. However, destruction in some form has always inhabited a part of humanity. Violence occurs in the world everyday. Why would a society in the future change to eliminate that simple fact?

Without doubt, I was extremely surprised that the audience at the Flesh Fair had such a powerful and positive reaction to David. They could not believe he was a robot. For them, the existence of an artificial child made of steel instead of sinew was impossible. Thus, humanity was shown to have some sort of depth and compassion, however, only because they believed David to be human.

On the other hand, the film presents robots – especially David – as extensions of humanity. David is programmed to love unconditionally, and his emotions have a very real affect on his adopted mother. However, it is not until David decides to take the journey to become a “real boy” like Pinocchio does the viewer begin to believe that there is more to David’s feelings of love and attachment than just simple programming. Does this embodiment of feeling make David human?

I can only answer that question with another question. Can anyone define what makes us human? Without doubt, this precise question leads me to my indecision. Simply, I cannot decide for or against the movie because of my own conflicting emotions concerning David’s humanity.

No comments: