Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Exam Blog

(1) In my original blog labeled “Technology vs. Reality”, I chose to analyze the influence of technology on society, as well as its consequential effects on reality. My point of view in this first blog was rather pessimistic. I did not see how a balance, as Borgmann described it, could be achieved between the influx of information technology and reality. I believed that technology was not meant to limit one to reality, but rather to blur the barriers between the surreal and the tangible – in effect, eliminating any hope of balance between the two components. However, one analyzing my argument would find many weak points in my logic.

For instance, I use an example of reality as it is illustrated in movies to demonstrate how technology exaggerates reality. While this argument is relevant to a certain degree, I limited myself by focusing on only one facet of the entire purpose of technology. In addition, I did not give credit to aspiring directors, actors, screenwriters, musicians, and authors who seek to rip away the glossy exterior of a contrived reality (frequently created through technology) to reveal the gritty, tangible side of reality that is often hidden. Taking into account the new artists who desire only to utilize technology to exemplify reality at its best and worst, I find that my original argument was rather exclusive.

Hence, after a thorough analysis of my original argument, I have determined that a balance is growing between information technology and reality. I believe the crux of this new argument is the fact that information technology is now being used to emphasize reality in all its gritty glory instead of disguising and exaggerating it. Thus, I think that a balance will soon emerge as people move away from the glamour of a virtual reality littered with technological gadgets and return to a reality that is emphasized and celebrated with technological advancements.

(2) Nevertheless, the pessimistic view discussed above is not limited to one blog. I demonstrate this pessimism frequently in my blog entries, especially in the blog labeled “Thoughts on Lyotard”.

In this blog, I discussed the two differing views of Lyotard’s two narrators – “He” and “She” – in his essay “Can Thought Go on without a Body”. Originally, I sided with the second narrator, “She”. “She” held that artificial intelligence was not advanced enough to characterize or to provide future generations with a sense of humanity. “She” believed AI technology was severely limited in its analysis and understanding of society and humanity. Without doubt, “She” saw technology as a bane rather than a helpful necessity. However, “He” believed that artificial intelligence would provide meaning to one’s otherwise meaningless life through the storage of the thoughts and the memories of humanity.

Analyzing my view in accordance with the views of both “He” and “She”, I find that I am sympathetic to both. However, I believe my original argument, like my argument above, was weak and failed to take into account all aspects of the argument. His argument is as relevant and important as her argument in reference to the benefits of artificial intelligence.

“He” makes an interesting point in reference to technology’s possible influence on the collective future of society. “He” believes a human’s consciousness can be contained in a technological device. If this fact were true, the possibilities for learning about the past would be limitless. Imagine going to the museum and listening to the consciousness of Cicero orating about the natural law! Without doubt, humanity would have little or no boundaries in the acquisition of knowledge. Lives would take on new and unique meanings as humanity’s consciousness expanded and encompassed the entire world.

Thus, I believe that technology can be useful in the distant future as a storage tool aimed at providing meaning to lives that would originally be lost to the ages. Truly, death would be the only limit to the body, and there would be no limits to the mind. Naturally, this is an appealing alternative to death and the cessation of thought.

No comments: