Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Robot Rights

I know I may appear to be the bad guy here, but I do not believe robots should be granted rights. They are not people. They are machines designed to perform certain tasks. They would be programmed to act in certain ways that may resemble human behavior, but ultimately, is not. I couldn't help but think of the Furby when reflecting on robots. The Furby could be considered one of the first domesticated robots. It looked like a strange robot owl, and was kind of cute in a twisted way. While I would not advocate destroying a Furby for fun, I don't believe we should give it rights either. I know that a robot of the future would be far more sophisticated than a simple Tiger toy, but Furby's can talk. They can talk very much, in fact. With their own little annoying language. Some of them can dance...a very annoying little dance. Smashing a Furby with a hammer would probably make me cringe a tad, but robots should be able to be turned off, especially annoying robots. And humans should not have to fight court battles to determine rights in order to do that.

No comments: