Monday, April 28, 2008

Distance Learning Revisited

Without doubt, our discussion concerning distance learning has only enhanced my original view of the subject. I believe that, while distance learning is a helpful tool in the classroom, it will never replace the classroom setting. Students need contact with their professors if they hope to achieve a level of mastery in any subject. Truly, distance learning does not provide students with realistic relationships or the tools with which to succeed in the outside world. However, I am intrigued by the philosophy of Ivan Illich, particularly his “de-schooling of society”.

I find his belief that real learning does not occur in the classroom very interesting, and in some ways, I agree with Illich. I find that my best learning experiences occur outside of the classroom setting. However, I believe that the things I am taught in the classroom provide me with the tools to understand and grasp better what I am learning in the world outside the classroom. Without doubt, the classroom provides me with the tools to succeed and learn in the outside world. Hence, distance learning cannot replace learning in a traditional setting because the classroom provides us with the crucial tools needed to survive in the real world.

No comments: