Tuesday, April 09, 2013

The social media confusion

I have always been a revel to giving in to the social media craze. It took me three years to finally give into Facebook, and five years to finally give into Twitter. I recently befriended some freshman this year who are into snap chat. Personally all these different ways to socialize are getting slightly hectic. It seems that every five months there is a new social media that arises that every jumps on and i just push it aside.
Do these many different social medias present somewhat of an overkill. For instance last night the Reds scored 9 runs in the ninth inning, an impressive feat. One friend of mine put up a Facebook status, A tweet, and snap chatted me a screenshot of the score on the tv. So in a matter of minutes I received three different ways of his excitement. This is overkill to me. Even six or seven years ago a simple text would have done just fine when needing to tell me something. Now its a text, a status, a tweet (accompanied by numerous hashtags), and pictures with messages attached as well. Its not necessary at all.
I feel like the abundance of social media apps desensitizes us. We no longer feel the need to talk to someone in person and most of all face to face interactions have become more dull because anything interesting we have to say has already been expressed through the multiple social media messages. Is an abundance of social media devices good or bad? I feel like they are harmful to our social aspects of our lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While I do agree with much of what you are saying, I also feel the need to point out that this is a social media site as well.