Friday, April 19, 2013

Advances in Medicine

Technology has helped medicine advance tremendously and has saved many lives.  It has allowed amputees to have a second chance and the precision of surgeries are even more exact now.  With that said, I don't know how comfortable I would be knowing that a robot is performing surgery on me and has full control.  In the back of my mind I would be concerned of if something was to go wrong, how would the robot react or will the robot have a malfunction in the middle of surgery?  I know that a human can still make a mistake, but the fact is a human can react to a situation and alter it or fix it when necessary.  The thought of robots performing human tasks to this extent is still mind blowing to me and I tend to just brush it off because it sounds so insane.  I am naive in that aspect because technology is always advancing and one day, if not already this will happen.  Ultimately, if I had a choice in a real doctor or a robot doctor, there would be no hesitation: real doctor wins!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. I might be old school, but I do not see how this idea of robots performing medical acts could be considered smart or efficient. To me, there is too much risk involved. A mistake can occur at any time in any situation, but reaction to the mistake is often the most critical aspect. Humans are capable of this. Are robots? I'm not sure.

Sydni Wainscott said...

I couldn't agree with you guys more, a mistake can occur with a human and a robot... The difference is that humans know how to react to certain situations and a robot isn't programed to fix mistakes and react to unkown situation.

Unknown said...

I agree that robots would not be able to react to emergencies, just as robots are not ready for finely tuned social interaction. The only thing that is celebrated by the advancement of the robot in medicine is its microscopic precision possible only in machinery.