Thursday, April 04, 2013

Cellular Connectivity and Teens

http://www.pbs.org/thisemotionallife/blogs/teens-sleeping-cell-phones-clear-and-present-danger

Turkle addresses this concept of adolescent connectivity in her book. It's interesting, but true. 75% of teens sleep with their phones. Oftentimes, they say it helps them sleep better. As frightening as it is, I would have to agree. My phone gets me up on time. It is within reach if I need to communicate with anyone. And, it is right there if anyone needs me. If I found myself suffering from the all too frequent bout of insomnia, the cell phone gives me instant access to Twitter and Facebook. I find myself amazed by the distance I have traversed from being without a cell phone entirely to being entirely dependent on my cell phone.

No comments: