Thursday, April 18, 2013

Classroom Technology

I posted a comment on anothers' post, but I didn't go into much detail in my comment.
Long story short, my old high school just got iPads for all its students and I've asked some what they think of having the iPads. They all say that it's cool but all they do is play games. I believe them. I remember when I was in high school. It was so easy to get around the security or "blocked" websites to play games or go on Facebook. I know that when I'm in a class, even today, that allows cell phone (or other technology) use, I am not paying attention in class. I take full advantage of the freedom I am given because it's far more interesting to sit and read tweets than listen to a professor teach (no offense, Dr. Langguth). I'm sure that many other students feel this way too. Actually, I know many of them do simply because I can read their tweets about how boring class is or how they wish they were outside. Though I know technology can be useful in a classroom, I think it hurts us more than it helps. Even if I am not using my technology in the classroom while another student is, I am distracted by them. I don't know why we as humans are so drawn to technology but it may be hurting us in the long run to have technology in our classrooms.

No comments: