Thursday, April 18, 2013

2013: The Year to Dump Your Smartphones?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865577739/Dumb-is-better-Kicking-the-smart-phone-addiction.html?pg=all

I stumbled across this article that was extremely interesting to me. The general idea behind the whole story is that all of these tech-savvy individuals are getting rid of their smartphones or just disabling sites like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. to get rid of all the meaningless stuff in their life. The article is definitely worth a read and will undoubtedly give you something to think about. I don't necessarily think that 2013 is going to be the year to dump the smartphone but I do believe that people are being a lot better at recognizing their problem with cell phone addiction and also looking for ways to solve their problems.

Some of the people interviewed in the article talk about their loss of attention of span and feelings of stupidity and scrambled thoughts. Writer Robin Sloan had this to say,  "For me, the iPhone had become a toxic compulsion. It had completed its invasion and occupation of my interstitial time — all those minutes riding the train, waiting in line, that used to be such fertile territory for daydreaming and storymaking. So I canceled my AT&T plan and switched to a bare-bones Nokia on a pay-as-you-go plan."

It definitely gives the reader something to think about, maybe not getting rid of your smartphone but maybe limiting the usage. 

No comments: