Friday, April 05, 2013

Breaking Up with Technology

In Turkle's chapter 10 she discusses the use of cell phones and other electronics in order to end relationships with people. In the chapter she discusses how it's "easier" for people to do this because it's less personal and you don't have to see the hurt someone is going through. People know that it's not how they should breakup with someone but it's just the easier way to do so. I'm just wondering what everyone else's thoughts about this are. Has society today really become so emotionless that people nowadays think this is an acceptable way to break up with someone? I've never done but I've heard stories of people who have been together for years and do it. Has technology put us in such a place that it has, in fact, beat out the emotional level to things?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that relationships are becoming less personal because of our technology. It's so much easier for people to start fights or to get angry and send it over the phone rather than say it to a person in face. I personally was in a looooooonnnnnggggg relationship, and when I ended it, I made sure to make it a face to face break up. I think when you have committed to a personal relationship you should be able to make it a personal breakup. You should have experienced emotions throughout your relationship so it would only be right to do it face to face. Although it may be hard to see the persons emotions when they are hurt, it is what has to be done. The person doing the breaking up should be ok with the response of the other person. I think that it is ridiculous to do such personal things in such an impersonal way.