Friday, April 05, 2013

Communication and Driving

Turkle talks in chapter 9 about the danger of texting and driving and how so many young people do it today. The kids she talked to said that the reason they text, answer phone calls, and read messages while driving is the "need to connect". I found it interesting to see why they do this because I do it as well when I drive. My reasoning is just to make sure someone is not hurt or in trouble whereas theirs is this insatiable need to be connected to their friends and the world. While most of these kids do believe texting and driving is okay, I try to restrict myself as much as possible and really not let it get in the way too much. I'm known to turn off my phone for hours on end because I don't want to talk to people or be interrupted doing homework, etc. The world we live in has grown so technology driven especially with cell phones that kids are literally attached at the hip to their devices. I just found the reasoning behind always answering the phone while driving or texting and driving for someone else other than myself.

No comments: