Friday, March 14, 2008

Sims vs. Monks - The difference in their silence

After watching "Into Great Silence" and reading Sims piece on silence I discovered there is a huge difference between the their types of silence. Sims wants silence because, well, everything is to loud for him. The monks want silence to gain enlightenment and closeness to their God. The Monks are doing what they do out of revernce for their God while Sims just seems to be complaning. I don't know were Sims lives but I live about 15 minutes away from campus and it's usually pretty quiet around my house except for the occasional dog barking or bird chirping, but I like that noise. I feel like there should be some noise other wise we (humans) would probaly go crazy. Now do we need the constant noise of TV or Radio? No of course not, and in that sense I guess I agree with Sims but I dont think humans should live in the silence that Sims describes nor do I think we could. Since the beginning of man we have created songs and dance to fill that silent void in our lives, that proves we will not and cannot live in silence.

No comments: