Friday, March 14, 2008

Information Impersonating Reality?

After reading Borgman and his ideas on cultural information I believe a different use of words is needed for its description. Instead of information as reality, how about information impersonating reality? Information as reality, like the pictures of the carolina wren, are representations of true reality, not the acutal thing, so in that sense it is impersonating reality. Information as reality implies that the information is "being" the reality, which it isn't, it's a representation. You cant "be" something you're not. I cant "be" Lebron James, I sure can act like him or impersonate him, but I can't "be" him. And thats why I proposes to Albert Borgman that if he revises his book he should change the phrasing of his description of cultural information.

No comments: