Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Blog 9 : Star Trek / Data

The Star Trek episode we watched the other day brought about many questions that are very difficult to provide answers for. Throughout the episode they were arguing about whether or not the android Data, was indeed human. This question will only further complicate itself if we continue to strive for technology that flawlessly mimics the human experience. I think the best example of this problem is the terminology the characters use to refer to Data. The commander refers to Data as a ‘him,’ while the other man refers to Data as ‘it.’ If we do in fact come up with certain technology that mimics the human experience as close as they want, how will we know who is human, and who is in fact technology? The thought of AI is quite intriguing, but I can’t force myself to look at Data in the same fashion as I would look at a human being. Data is a machine if you ask me. I can’t view something composed of bones, a soul, and a heart on the same level as something made up of wires, and switchboards. I think the androids should be treated respectfully and be seen as a remarkable creation, but I just can’t see one of them ever truly mimicking a human in the way that AI supporters are hoping for.

No comments: