Tuesday, March 11, 2008

In response again towards “Into Great Silence” I don’t see how these monks do it. I know they’re searching for a deeper meaning in life, whatever it may be. It just seems to bring the phrase “If it’s too loud, you’re too old” to mind. Surely, there must be some sort of other way efficient enough that these monks could do. Why silence? I know it goes way back, but I honestly just don’t see how one could be enlightened in such circumstances. It’s nice to be alone and to be able to gather ones thought’s with little or no distraction, but for me it seems that this whole silence thing wouldn’t ever really become routine to me. I don’t think I would be able live life like these monks do in this documentary or anywhere for that matter. It just appears to be a boring lifestyle.

No comments: