Friday, March 28, 2008

Movie: A.I.

From watching the movie in class the other day there are many issues or problems that come to my mind in regards to A.I. Firstly, from the movies point of view our future of A.I. is pessimistic. The idea of building a robot to love and to have all the emotions of a human “sounds” like a good idea, but it really isn’t. There are many reasons why A.I. is just a bad idea. To start off you can not build a robot to be exactly like a human being no matter how much you get it to look like a human being. This can be seen in the movie when they create David, a robot kid. David looks real and feels real, but he can’t eat and he almost drowns Martin because he didn’t know any better. Another issue that I have with A.I. is when you create a robot to be a five year old, does that mean they stay that age for the rest of their lives?? Robots can not grow up like normal human beings do and they certainly do not die like humans do, they could live forever if their system works correctly. This idea of learning and growing is absent with robots and in my mind can not be recreated because of how complex the brain is. Does the future of our world really consist of robots that do all the work for humans, so they can slack off and relax?? This to me does not appear to be a good direction and could create many problems.

No comments: