Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Journal #6

I thought that " Into Great silence" was a little ridiculous. Why do these monks have to be in total silence to become enlightened. there are other monks who don't live in total silence, are they not as successful in their pursuit of enlightenment. to me it seemed like the stuff they were doing could be a lot more efficient if they communicated amongst themselves. but I didn't choose that lifestyle, they did so i hope they are successful.
the silence that they experience is unheard of where i live. at no time is my neighborhood, my house, or my room ever that silent. i think that if i was ever faced with that type of silence it would be very unenjoyable. i often listen to music when i study and cant sleep without some background noise, two tasks that most Americans do require some silence to engage in. Because of this I would never become one of these monks and would never want to be one.

No comments: