Tuesday, January 23, 2007

What? live forever?

In considering the robot short movie: Clay, I would say it is not all that great of an idea to live forever. There is something to say about accomplishments that take place despite our condition of embodiment. Even though Descartes said " I think therefore I am" and this would suggest that it is possible to live forever if your consciousness can continue despite the physical death of our bodies, I would like to discontinue my thoughts at some point. Death gives us a time frame with which to accomplish as much as we can in life prior to our demise. We can then look back and be proud of our accomplishments that we were able to achieve during our lifetime while laying on our death beds. I think we need death in order to appreciate life. Because if death never comes how do we define one's life?

No comments: