Wednesday, January 10, 2007

No Title

I have never really thought of books or even the alphabet as technology. I just took it all for granted. Of course now that I think about it, the use of books has enabled us to make numerous advancements for every aspect of life. Borgmann says quite simply that writing provides information about reality and reading is really comprehending. I found it hard to understand Borgmann's last paragraph on page 92. It seemed to me that he is telling us that a person who is illiterate can never fully comprehend the world in which he or she lives. I believe that Borgmann is not giving illiterate people enough credit. Illiterate people are not dumb, they can still understand the world through interaction and examination. There is more than one way to understand something that does not include looking it up in a book. It was amazing to see the extensive detail that Illich put into our assigned reading. It was interesting to see how Illich unfolded the history of the alphabet and the book. Today many people take books for granted and even how books are organized. I couldn't even imagine a world without these advancements in our communication.

No comments: