Monday, February 11, 2013

AI Thoughts

After watching this movie, I still feel as if robots could never get to the level of human beings emotionally.  All David wanted to do was be a human but it is impossible to recreate the human species.  If robots did somehow gain emotions one day the world be very different.  Which leads me to the discussion we had in class.  Technology is an amazing asset but we need to know our limits.  We can't create robots because we are too lazy or selfish to take care of others.  We can't simply pass that role on to a seemingly emotionless object.  I think it is incredibly selfish to even think, "Oh, a robot will take care of them!"  Don't get me wrong, I think robots have many positives, but letting them be sole providers is definitely not one.  One of the main experiences of life is learning how to care for others and if we eliminate that from society, I think the repercussions will be great. 

2 comments:

Cody Makin said...

I couldn't agree with you more that it is impossible for robots to be recreated into the human species. It is amazing to me the strides that have been taken to try to come close to this. What we need to understand is that AI is a movie and even though David is supposed to be a robot we know in our minds that David is actually an actor and a real human being. That is going to be the closest possible depiction of a human being for a robot and it's not even a real robot! I know it is a bit of gamble to say this due to the amazing advances technology today has made up to this day, but I don't think there is any way possible for a future robot to look anything or act like David from AI.

Unknown said...

I completely agree with you as well. I think that individuals should not be putting off taking care of people onto robots. That is ridiculous to even think about. I agree with what you were saying about being lazy. Plenty of people in this country are beginning to go to college, at a much higher rate, and I think that we as people should be able to take care of the elderly. I know that when I am old and frail I will not want a robot taking care of me. That would make me go insane!