Thursday, February 07, 2013

A.I. Reflections

     I enjoyed this movie. Throughout the movie, I was not thinking, "This can't happen; robots, can't be so real" etc. I suspended my disbelief when watching the movie to try to get the whole effect of what I was watching. I grew up with stories about robots, therefore I always enjoy seeing them. A part of me would love to have robots around, while another part of me would hate it. If robots could so totally mimic humans, how would we be able to easily tell the difference between the two? I would not like being unable to distinguish between humans and robots. However, the distinction between "mecha" and "orga" would be almost indistinguishable. If robots can truly have emotions, can we really not consider them to be people? In the film, the question of responsibility to such machines is raised. I believe that it would be necessary to treat them as we would any other. Otherwise, we would be doing the same as neglecting another human being. Throughout the film, I did not think of David as a robot. Rather, I saw him as a little boy that was unfamiliar with the world. This may because I grew up with cartoons featuring robots, but there is a point where I think that robots and humans are both considered people. Being surrounded by robot characters that were just as real as the humans may have given me skewed views on this matter, but I can't help but think that we would be destroying a part of ourselves if we did not treat robots with feelings as we did other humans.

No comments: