Sunday, February 14, 2010

Killing Communication

During this class one of the things that came to my mind was wondering how interpersonal communication has been impacted. I could try to talk about how people talked and such 40 years ago but I have no first hand experience. The crazy part is that being only 21 years old I can still note a significant difference in how things are today than they were fifteen, ten, or even five year ago or so. As a child I remember getting letters from my family out west, getting regular phone calls from relatives, and simply riding my bike to my friends house to hang out.

Instead, these days I find myself occasionally getting an email from my family out west, maybe getting a call from relatives, and instead of seeing my friends I get texts from them. The worst thing I have seen has been people sitting the the same room... possibly beside each other, texting... Yes, this can be for fun or cute or whatever, but it is still sad that we have integrated technology so deeply into our daily life that instead of turning our heads and speaking we have to send a digital message to someone who may be feet away. I feel like a grumpy old man...

No comments: