Sunday, February 21, 2010

The device paradigm spoke of by borgmann is very interesting because it speaks of an era that our generation doesn't know of. I can remember when computers where still new and the Internet was just arriving, but could I live without google, the verb. Yeah, it makes me because I myself have fell to the cultural desire to use google as a verb "goolgle it or googled it." However, his definition of what a device and a thing are is very complicated to me. It's seems that borgman is truly driven by the "human soul." I'll explain this more thoroughly; we in society today take pride in our specialty. How only a select few can do our job and with that we have prestige and authority. Having a skill is very unique, but with devices is that taking away our skills? Today we have jobs that unskilled individuals work because all they do is press the button of the machine they are working. We spoke of instrument and how borgman enjoyed those because they require skill and attention. With our current drive for new technology that will soon be gone. Rock band is an example of how that is being taken away. We spoke of online classes and how that is something beneficial for our society. I would agree, but borgmann may say it would take away from the true tradition of going to a classroom itself. Borgmann has not made a set in stone side he is on and nor will because I'm actually typing this up on my iPhone. Yet, with this fallacy to drive for bigger and better things seems like we may come upon a day where desire better consumes the purpose of why we do something. Example being we may want cell phones that we can virtually everything a laptop does, but in all reality we just want to call or even just text.



No comments: