Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Jonas Mekas on the Internet and Art


The following quote, from the Lithuanian artist Jonas Mekas (pictured above), was taken from the World Question Forum website (see the top of "links). It reflects Borgmann's concerns about the device paradigm replacing "focal things and focal practices." The point of Borgmann's book, in fact, is precisely the fear that important things and practices are being eliminated by devices. Is this a serious situation? 

I would like to add one more note to what the Internet has done to me. And that is, I began paying more attention to everything that the Internet seems to be eliminating.Books especially. But also nature. In short: the more it all expands into the virtual reality the more I feel a need to love and protect the actual reality. Not because of sentimental reasons, no. I do that from a very real, practical , almost a survival need: from my knowledge that I would lose a very essential part of myself by losing the actual reality, both cultural and physical.


No comments: