Thursday, February 11, 2010

Introverts and Virtual Teamwork

During today’s discussion, the notion that modern technology is causing a transition from communal work to individual work was brought up. While I neither dispute this idea nor the fact that the lack of physical, face-to-face teamwork has various drawbacks, I also know that it is still possible for a group of people to work as an effective, cohesive unit on various online communities. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the internet has made it possible for introverted individuals to enjoy engagement in active teamwork and community participation. Besides the luxury of anonymity, the internet only requires users to possess a proficient writing technique and an active mental presence rather than physical or verbal assertiveness. The web erases the lines of social status and reputation, which presents the phenomenon of choosing one's own identity. This introvert haven provides them with the security of being able exit out of uncomfortable situations with one click. Furthermore, all input is voluntary—in most cases without time restrictions—and therefore complimentary to the reflective thinker in that no one is staring at you in anticipation of a prompt answer. In short, the internet provides a stage for those who would otherwise hesitate to make their voices heard.

I can verify this theory through my own personal experience as an introverted internet user. In the Fall of 2008, I found myself registering at an official fanclub forum on a frivolous whim, but after six months of visiting and contributing to this online community, I was asked to join the senior staff as a global moderator. Now I interact with an organized team of twenty staff members from across the globe on a daily basis and manage over 13,000 users to maintain a forum that many have deemed to be their second home. I find it incredible that someone like me who has always lingered on the edge of the social scene now has the opportunity to take center stage by simply switching over from the physical realm to the cyber realm.

1 comment:

Nick L. said...

Just thought I'd chime in on this, and I totally agree. This is a great point, because we really haven't discussed much about the benefits to the anonymity that the internet provides many users, who otherwise may never have contributed to a group or discussion in a more classical sense. I never really thought of it til now, but I would imagine the internet has really been a positive and powerful tool for many in this way.