Friday, February 05, 2010

iWant an iPad!!! ...but not really.

In this post I will be shortly discussing the new Apple iPad, and why it is yet another technological blunder. Essentially, the iPad is an oversized iPod Touch which offers the same applications as its predecessor, as well as the Amazon.com "Kindle"; however, even with such a plethora of features, I feel that the only reason to buy an iPad would be for the Kindle-like book reading technology. Thus, we come to a question: why buy an iPad if there is already the Kindle? Reading some forums, people have said that they love the design, as it is just like an iPod Touch- flat, sleek, and easy to operate. I think they are missing a little bit of the common sense in such a design. With one accidental drop of the iPad, i'm quite sure that the screen would be damaged, if not at least some parts of the inner workings; measuring .5 inches thin might be convenient for putting into a backpack, but it is very inconvenient for the durability of the item (I wouldn't be surprised if it snapped in half after a drop).

In looking at the book reading technology of the iPad and the Kindle, I think that it's a great idea, but at the same time people should not totally disregard books. The idea of owning a tangible book, and not an electronic file, is not only a more "safe way" of owning the reading (no worries about hardware issues), but it also offers a greater feeling of accomplishment once you finish reading it.

Again, as I stated in my last post, I think people are so concerned about convenience that they lose the enjoyable experience the old technology brings. I just fear that one day the old technology will become considerably obsolete, and that you will only find such items, like books, in museums.

No comments: