Friday, February 05, 2010

The Good Ole Fireplace

In our Ethics and Technology class, we discussed how the television set is now the focal point of the family at home. Previous to this new "modern technological age", the fireplace was the main focus. The family had to provide the fire wood. First, they had to cut the tree, chop the wood, let it dry, bring it into the house, and feed the fire. It is very rare that in today's technological society that people have wood buring fireplaces.
About ten years ago, my parents moved the television from it's place in the living room to the basement. My brother and sisters, and myself were obviously not very happy. The basement was either too cold or too hot (depending on the season). The living room was a place for living, not sitting. Instead of the television, we have a wood burning fireplace. We live in an old house, in which the fireplace was probably the main source of heat years ago. During the winter, so now, we turn off the heat in the house and burn wood. My dad spends his extra time chopping wood outside. My sister and I usually help bring it in the house to dry, and we all pitch in at feeding the fire. I never realized that moving the television to the basement has affected my life. We do focus on working together to attain our goal- heat.
Often when we host parties at our house, we get compliments about the fireplace and hearth. People are no longer focused on what is on tv, but rather the conversation. They seem more interested in people's lives than what the lastest football play or what dress that celebrity wore to the Grammys. So, what we have talked about in class really does make sense. I have been in a front row seat in the change from fireplace to television, in both the good and bad affects it has had on the social atmosphere in the home. With a television there is no focus on the family, but we recieve quick information. With a fireplace, we have skills, warmth, and conversation.
I never realized my parents were that smart!

No comments: