Monday, January 28, 2008

Oh, technology...

As I read the textbooks and listen to the class discussions, I find it increasingly more difficult to form an opinion about technology and it influences, beneficial or disastrous, on society and humanity. I find myself agreeing with both the opinions of the philosophers who claim that technology is taking over our lives as well as with those in our class who say society is using technology as a scapegoat. However, I am certain of one thing – the idea of technology is better, although not necessarily more advantageous, than the actual creation of such technical gadgets as the internet and the computer.

The idea of technology as an easier, faster, more available means of obtaining knowledge is rather…limited. Without doubt, technology has achieved these goals and looks to improve even more in the coming years. However, at what cost? Has our desire for an easier, quicker, more connected world and the invention of such objects to achieve this goal, actually hindered and isolated us from each other?

I do not think the answer can be a simple yes or no. If I answer yes, I feel a little medieval. If I answer no, I feel rather exposed. In short, I do not think we can determine whether technology is “good” or “bad”. It exists, and we must deal with the consequences.

No comments: