Thursday, January 17, 2008

CDs vs. Ipods

In class today we spoke about the ipod eventually replacing the cd, and if this is something that could actually happen. I would like to think this would never be a reality. Being a huge fan of music there is something about having an album on cd, rather than just having it on a computer file. I liek having a hard copy because there many things that go along with having that hard copy. Such as the album art, and notes that come with it. I'm sure that you can probably download these online but it is not the same.
Making an album is an art, down to the cover and the notes that go in the booklet that comes with the album. If the ipod replaces the cd would we then lose this. Would people artists still put the work together to have a booklet that is available for download? I'm a musician and I currently working on recording and putting together an album. Besides the songs themselves one thing that I'm very excited about is designing the look of the album. I have recordings on my computer but it is not the same as having a hard copy. You don't get that feeling of accomplishment that comes with the 100 percent completed album. From the artist perspective it means so much more to have the album as hard copy that the artist put together rather than just a bunch of files floating around in cyberspace.

No comments: