Monday, January 28, 2008

Cyborgs?

Through our discussion concerning “The Technique”, I gradually noticed the extent to which technology has shaped my life as well as the extent to which it has become an irreplaceable part of it. I cannot imagine living a life with no internet or iPod, let alone electricity. However, it was not so long ago that these things did not exist.

It makes me wonder if I could live without these technological inventions that have become so enmeshed in my life that one could call them necessary to survival. Could I spend a week in silence with no “background noise” to keep me focused and occupied? Has technology become so much a part of myself that I could be called a cyborg?

The answer to both of these questions is…I don’t know. I don’t know if I could spend a week in silence because silence is so hard to acquire in an age where advertisements scream at you from every corner. I don’t know if I could live without the comforts of technology. Perhaps, I am a cyborg in some sense of the term. Perhaps, technology has moved from just being our environment to being an irreplaceable part of our selves.

No comments: