Sunday, January 13, 2008

Journal 1: The Issue of Embodiment

In our first week of class in Ethics and Technology, we spent some time discussing the effects, advantages and limitations of technology (and, more specifically, the Internet) in our lives today. More specifically, we analyzed the introduction and first chapter of the book On the Internet by phenomenologist and Heidegger scholar Hubert Dreyfus. For me, it was interesting to review Dreyfus’ rather pessimistic view of the Internet and the consequences of its use on society today because Dreyfus’ assertions are (characteristically) phenomenological in nature. In fact, Dreyfus claims that an overwhelming problem that humans working with technology have to face is the embodiment issue.
For instance, Dreyfus asserts that because we, in a very psychological sense, ‘leave our physical bodies behind’ while we surf the Net and explore cyberspace, the Internet disembodies us, in a way. Why is that so horrible? Some people do not think it is. Groups such as the Extropians believe that the Internet has the potential to allow us to transcend our bodies and have eternal life through technology. They and other groups like them believe that this disembodiment is a good thing. It cannot be denied that the Internet, in all it allows a person to explore and discover, holds so much promise. Dreyfus even calls it the "perfect technological devise" because it makes everything easily and readily accessible. Talking on instant messenger, checking facebook statuses, and reading blogs seem to be connecting us more fully and completely to society around us. However, none of these activities (and, indeed, no activities one can do on the Internet) involve bodily perceptions or interactions. Again, why should this concern us? Dreyfus says that this disembodiment is harmful to human mental health because, as sentient, embodied beings, we need physical interchange. From the time we are born, we give meaning to everything we see, touch, taste, hear and smell by examining how our bodies react to each new substance. Dreyfus supports his idea with a study done by researchers from Carnegie-Mellon University that indirectly claims that increased time spent on the Internet leads to increased "depression and loneliness." So, in fact, the Internet is not fulfilling its promise so well as we might believe it is. Instead of feeling connected, the Internet makes us feel more alone than ever.
I found Dreyfus’ discussion of embodiment to be the most fascinating and relevant aspect of the first part of his book because I have seen the effects of disembodiment in my own home. For example, I am a self-proclaimed Facebook addict. Everyday, I feel like I have to get on Facebook to be caught up with everything that is happening with my school and my friends. Yet, after I’ve spent hours online being ‘socially connected’ through Facebook, I feel more stressed than ever. After all that time, what have I done? I’ve procrastinated when I don’t have a second to spare with my schoolwork. I’ve neglected to say one word to my family. I haven’t even physically spoken to any of my friends (and writing to them via email just isn’t the same as being with them face to face). In a word, I’ve gotten nothing accomplished and I’ve been a recluse up in my room for several hours. Because of this, I feel saddened. I feel isolated and disconnected with everyone and everything in my world. Dreyfus would probably tell me this is because I’m allowing myself to become disembodied by technology and its king, the Internet.
Knowing this, today I did an experiment. With the time I usually spend online, I went downstairs and sat in the living room talking with my dad for a few hours. I still didn’t get any homework done, but all the feelings of disconnection and isolation never once threatened to dampen my mood. Rather, I felt happy, glad that I could spend time with my father. Because of this, I attest that what Dreyfus is saying is at least partially true in my own life. I cannot say that I believe the Internet to be an evil monster with a mind of its own, but at the same time, I think Internet use should be monitored, limited and used moderately, because the pull to stay online for hours is just too strong.

No comments: