Sunday, February 19, 2006

The Internet: A Bad Way to Teach

Now more than ever the internet is taking over our lives as we use it for everything, from looking up online journals to purchasing carry out orders from restaurants. The internet has also taken over the education aspect of our lives as teachers rely on email for communication and give out assignments that require only internet sources. What kind of an education can we get from only or primarily using the internet? According to Dreyfus, education requires that human element, where a teacher interacts face to face with his students, responding to their questions and answers. I agree with Dreyfus, as I find my education relying more on the internet, which makes it more difficult to learn and ask questions.

I have never had the internet at my house, but once I entered college in 2003, it seemed like a must to get the internet. I was getting assignment after assignment requiring the use of the internet for completion. I have never found the education I get with the internet anywhere near the education I can get with a human being. Learning by human to human interaction is much more rewarding and provides me with more insight to further my education. I learn much more with a teacher present as I can ask questions and get a reaction. This is exactly how Dreyfus feels as well, as he describes how distance classes or classes through the internet do not provide a person with his/her full learning potential. I for one would prefer one on one contact with the teacher over the internet when it comes to education, though I have to say the internet makes it easier to communicate with more people at once (instant messaging).

No comments: