Monday, October 17, 2011

Technology now in restaurants?

In class we watched a debate about social networking; this debate consisted of the social network being a bad thing due to spiritual means (related to Borgman's focal activities) vs. social network being a means of connecting to people more conveniently, making social network not be a sort of substitute, but rather a tool. I feel this argument can be made to any situation where technology comes in between person-person interactions. I recently discovered a very new scenario where technology is being placed between person-person interactions and this technology will be surprising at first for everyone, but soon will be expected.

I went out to Chilli's (the restaurant) a couple of weeks ago. As soon as the doors opened, I could see what looks to be computer screens on each table. These computers had everything from the menu on them to silent cartoons to keep kids occupied. This technology even aloud card users to not have to wait on the waiter/waitress for the bill but rather swipe the card on the machine to pay; it even had a percent calculator for tips (which by default was set to 20%). The waitress explained to me that these computers were here to make the sit-down at this restaurant that much more enjoyable.

Is this technology really making our sit-down at a restaurant that enjoyable? Sitting down at a restaurant used to be meant for a socializing group event, but now there is a piece of technology sitting between you and possibly your significant other. Is this a violation of Borgmans focal activities? Is this technology really needed? Is this just another sign of technology taking over our lives? Personally I believe it is, if a family wants to get together to eat with technology, they can enjoy a meal in front of their own television; if this keeps up, I fear the next generation of kids wont know what a true family get-together is supposed to mean, spiritually.

1 comment:

Andrew Linkugel said...

Is this at the Chili's on Houston Road? This example of technology seems incredibly distracting - not something I would want accompanying me during dinner. When I'm eating with others, I don't even want the TV on. Also, the default tip calculator set to 20% is a pretty humorous addition to your post. I wonder how the restaurant thinks it can make enough extra money to pay for all of these screens?