Friday, October 21, 2011

Pros and Cons of E Books in School

We talked today in class about how E Books are becoming more popular and how they might take over for regular books in the near future. This would require everyone to have access to the internet and/or have a kindle, i pad, or other reading devices. I think we will eventually get to the point where everyone has one of those devices. Some of the pros of these new E Books are that they cost significantly less than regular text books. This is big for college students and is very important to them. Also, you have access to them all the time like you would a normal text book, but without having to carry them around. Some of the cons of having the new E books is having to purchase a reading device or access to the internet everywhere you want to read to do something with the book. Although during todays technological era, thats becoming less and less of a problem, but still needs to be mentioned for these purposes. I think that the pros definitely outweigh the cons and these E books are great and will be helpful in the future.

2 comments:

patty-wack said...

I know I should never say never, but never will I buy one. I can’t stand them. I feel this way for a few reasons, some of which are even medical. One I hate them. I hate technology and it hates me. I know it is user error most of them times, but still... Second I love my books. I have a profound collection of books. There is something for me about having the physical copy that is all mine. I also have a very hard time looking at screens for a long period of time when I am too close to them. This is the biggest reason I don’t want one. I have in the past have hit my head a good number of times. My doctors actually think I have border line brain damage. This has caused me to get very bad head aces when I stare at a computer screen too long. Lastly I will not use eBooks because I am old fashion in a sense. I don’t like being trendy. I go at my own speed. So for me it will be fun being the guy who in 2030 still reads old fashion book! I say no way to eBooks

Brenon Russell said...

I can say that if i could ever get ahold of a free kindle or iPad, then i'd definitely use ebooks. From my experience so far in college, when a professor gives you a textbook, you will only be looking at half of it anyways. Say you take 6 classes at a time, and most classes require more than one book. If you have an E reader, then you only have to carry one very light object compared to ten heavy books. Also, with today's increasing technology, E readers now offer the ability to highlight and bookmark, just like you would do in a textbook. I still think hard copies of books will last as a novelty item to collect as well as enjoy, but as a college student I think E readers are the way to go in the future to use for textbooks.