Thursday, October 20, 2011

Social Networks

Many people believe that social networks and texting have ruined personal relationships. I would have to disagree. Although many of the people who are my friend on Facebook are friends from the past that I no longer see, it is useful when trying to stay in touch with someone who is living 3000 miles away. My sister has lived all over the country, California, Nebraska, Tennessee, Maryland, Iowa, etc. Facebook has actually been a great way for me to stay in touch with her. Sometimes I see her two, maybe three times in a year. With her being in a different timezone, I can never decide when a good time to call her would be. So I send her a message on Facebook. She can also post pictures of my three nieces and nephews who I also rarely see. This makes me feel as if I am still a part of their lives, even though I am not able to see them on a daily basis. This is what makes me feel that social networks are a good thing, when used the right way.

3 comments:

Bruce Johnson said...

I completely agree. Facebook can be used for helping or distancing yourself from your friends and family. Facebook is good or bad for personal relationships based on the user. It helps keep in touch with those people we share close relationships with.

acmillay1985 said...

I agree as well. Facebook and social networking sites similar to it allow me to stay in contact with family, friends, and relatives that are accross the country or constantly moving.

Quinton Lee Cappel said...

I agree.. I would say for the most part people are friends with people they actually know on facebook and arent just searching for new friends on it who they havent met before, there might be an occasional person who requests to be your friend that you dont know but I think for the most part it is a good way to keep in touch with a larger group of people you know than it would be without facebook.