Thursday, October 06, 2011

Our addiction to texting.

In class we began to talk about texting as applies to current young people and adults. A statistic was brought up in class of monthly texts that were sent and received. When this number was brought up I couldn't help but laugh because I knew that I sent and received way more than just under three thousand texts last month. What I find interesting about this fact is why is it just young people that text so much. Take my mom for example she has just a few hundred. Why is this? If texting is so in so to speak why are adults not picking it up? If the Internet is changing our minds much like Carr says in The Shallows that we are reading in class, then what is texting doing to our ability to communicate? This is the real question.

I would say that texting is destroying our ability to communicate. The reason being is that we are addicted to texting. This new technology has caught on like a wild fire and is running rampant in our society. We are so addicted to texting that we don't want to write letters, call or even email each other. It is removing all personal relationship from our communication. Texting is streamlining our communication process much like the Internet is streamlining the way we read. Now the next question is are these bad things?

3 comments:

Bo Fette said...

I personally think texting is a godsend...
I had a friend who refused to text and would call constantly to ask questions or see what I was doing... He is no longer my friend.
I have a girlfriend who likes to check in to see what I'm doing at every hour of the day, if it weren't for texts she wouldn't be my girlfriend.
I may appear to be an angry guy but texting makes it easy to communicate without the hassle of actually communicating with the person (which is the main point of your blog) but I enjoy it.

emilys7 said...

I feel texting is a good thing and bad thing. Its a good thing because its convenient and u can talk to someone without disturbing or annoying someone else around you and having them hear your conversation. It is a bad thing because it is somewhat addictive. Some people are so addicted to it they feel they have to do it while driving. That is when it gets a little out of hand.

Andrew Roenker said...

I agree with what Bo stated, texting is a quick and easy way of keeping in contact with people. Its not eliminating communication, just a different form to keep up with everyone's busy lives.