Thursday, October 27, 2011

Is Facebook Making Friendships More Distant?

In class, we talk about facebook fairly often. Even though I personally love facebook and wouldn't hesitate to say that I somewhat have an addiction to it, I feel it really doesn't strengthen friendships. However, I wouldn't say it exactly hurts or destroyes them though either. Facebook is a great way for me to keep in touch with friends from high school who went to colleges farther away and who I don't get to see on a regular basis anymore. With that said, I don't exactly talk to them on facebook much either. I am still on good terms with them but I don't really talk to them much on the website necessarily. Having a facebook seems to not hurt my friendships but have them become more distant in a way. Some of my closest friends in high school who I talked to and spent time with on a daily basis I hardly speak to...even on facebook. However, whenever they come back into town I always try and make lunch or dinner plans to catch up. When we do get together it is like nothing has changed. It is a hard thing to explain. I still have good relationships with my friends but it is just different. I believe the physical distance between my friends and I along with busy lives and schedules is more to blame really then facebook. At least facebook alows me to not lose touch with friends entirely. What does everyone else think?

2 comments:

Dave Reed said...

i have that problem too, and i agree that the problem is more to d owith the change in everyone's lives than it has to do with facebook.

Bruce Johnson said...

I would have to agree that Facebook does not strengthen or destroy friendships, it is only a means of communication for out of touch friends. Facebook can resemble any good thing in life: A little bit of it can be great, but too much everyday can be like a drug. I personally think people are looking at the extremes when commenting about facebook, where in reality, most of us may be a little addicted, but not enough to change the way we live or interact with other individuals.