Thursday, October 06, 2011

If America Jumps Off a Bridge, Would You?

Every new technology seems like a miracle device and it puts the old technology to shame. It seems that we will never be satisfied with good enough. The VHS seemed good enough at the time, but now it is nothing more than a brick stacking game for children. Slowly everyone moves on with technology and this isn't ever going to stop.
People have to be doing what other people are doing and my question is why? What new technology can we possibly need? Could we not settle on a 70" HDTV? No we have to make it jump out at us in 3D too. Or how about a cell phone, having that brick phone that never seemed to break continuously gets replaced by something that resembles a handheld super computer. My point is that we have to have what everyone else has and if we fail to get it, we are considered socially awkward on the same level as our technology impaired parents. We are social creatures by nature and we strive for that attention that makes us feel wanted (i.e. those awesome Facebook statuses people post about their lives). Even though our social lives are shifting from personal communication to Facebook, we have to be doing what everyone is doing and we would plunge to our death if that was the newest technology.

3 comments:

Jake Samad said...

First and foremost, if America jumped off a bridge, i wouldn't have much choice considering I live in the US now would I? But anyway, I would have to agree that technology has become more of a social thing that it needs to be. Although many people need this 70" plasma tv, I am perfectly happy with my 19" box that has poor picture and no cable. I don't see why anyone needs a tv that covers a whole wall. Isn't that what a movie theatre is for?

Jake Samad said...

First and foremost, if America jumped off a bridge, i wouldn't have much choice considering I live in the US now would I? But anyway, I would have to agree that technology has become more of a social thing that it needs to be. Although many people need this 70" plasma tv, I am perfectly happy with my 19" box that has poor picture and no cable. I don't see why anyone needs a tv that covers a whole wall. Isn't that what a movie theatre is for?

Tim Taylor said...

While technology is the means for this, the major cause of this lies within the realm of social psychology as it is pushed through capitalistic urges. The market uses multiple approaches to get an individual to send them their capital, if it wasn't through technology, it'd be through something else.