Thursday, October 06, 2011

Continuous Upgrades

The most recent article that Professor Langguth posted brought up an interesting point that I want to expand upon. The latest advances in technology are very much controlled. Either you upgrade or buy the latest version of a certain device or settle with your current device that will become obsolete. Technological advances have become "take it or leave it" phenomena. The companies that produces these devices implement this concept all the time.


For example, Apple has most of the technology to make a much better iPhone, but they release the upgrades gradually. If Apple released the ultimate iPhone now, sure, many of the phones would be sold. However, after a few years when the majority owned one, not as many phones would be sold. Therefore, Apple keeps continuously upgrading because consumers are willing to buy new and improved phones.


I also have anecdotal evidence of this concept. I still own the original 30 GB video iPod. I haven’t upgraded my iPod throughout the years of its advance. It hasn’t been necessary. But recently the version of the videos sold on iTunes don’t comply with the software on my iPod. The software on my iPod is outdated. As a result, my video iPod doesn’t correspond to its original purpose anymore of displaying videos. I have the option of purchasing a new iPod with the capabilities of displaying videos or comply with my outdated iPod. I can still listen to music on my Ipod, so I’ve kept it. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any middle ground or better option. It is one extreme or the other. I have been tempted to just buy a brand new iPod, but that would just affirm Apple’s strategy of continuously upgrading products and services to obtain more money. Sure, the advances are great to have, but are they really necessary? I’m not suffering for still possessing an old video iPod.

No comments: