Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Weather and Technology


Looking out my window this morning, the picture is quite serene. I gaze upon snow-covered rooftops and a treelined hill where the winter chill envelops the frigid tree branches in the distance. This change in the weather, however, has "forced me" to use several means of technology before I have barely begun my day.
Early this morning, I awakened to my alarm clock only to run out to the family room and look at the school closings on the television, praying we were on the list...we weren't yet. Angrily I went back to bed until about an hour later, only to turn on my computer alongside my bed and check the internet list of closings...I see Xavier, The Mount, and a plethora of other schools having the opportunity to enjoy their day of freedom. I suddenly realize that Thomas More has a mere delay until 10:30, and I procede to call various people with my cell phone, wondering if this means we have our 10:00 classes.
I wonder what our lives would be without this technology in times or 'perilous weather' (sarcasm intended). It suddenly dawned on me that this morning, I have used nearly four elements of technology to try to improve my life and make it more understandable in the midst of chaos.
I wonder, though, am I really making my life simpler with such devices? Or am I merely complicating it with increasingly complex technological tools?
Have I lost touch with reality to the point where I can barely go outside for myself and see if the streets are clear enough for me to drive without getting into an accident? I remember the readings on silence we had recently, and I come to the realization that already 2 hours into my morning, I have filled my life with pointless noise. I recall the quote from our reading, Manifesto for Silence,"Far too much is being said and of too little consequence". This morning, the volume knob in my own personal world was turned up full-blast to the point where I missed the point of many things.
I look out the window again now and see a peaceful scene, and ask to myself, Why can't I make my life more life that?

No comments: