Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Is Not Being Downloaded Immoral?

In the film "Clay" the main character's son says it is illegal, and immoral not to have your brain downloaded. I've been thinking about this for about a week now, and it still comes to as something I can't figure out. I know this is just a science fiction film, but I can't help thinking what if this technology existed. The problem I run into though is if this technology existed I think it would have the opposite effect. People would see this new way not to die as immoral. Some people would jump to this as a new life, but other more conservative people would fight this all the way. It's like stem cell research is now, some people think its great, and others think that it is horribly immoral. I can never see this technology (if it ever is developed) being something that would be seen as so great by so many people that it would eventually become law. An interesting point was brought up in class that maybe it would be seen as suicide if one doesn't download, but the argument can be made that this isn't real life so how can it be suicide, if one is really dead anyway. I guess this technology would have to very real and make people incredilbly happy for it to get to the way that it was in the film. I also think there would be more people like the main character who can't except this as real. This brings about what does one do with these people? One can't take this person to jail because then they would die anyway and get what they wanted in the first place. Do they force them to download? If they do wouldn't the person still be in control and pull the plug because this isn't real?

No comments: