Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Library is so noisy

Last Tuesday we talk about how they is tranformation of the library culture. About ten or twenty years if you walk in a library barely anybody was making noise. If someone was loud the librian either give the person a warning or keep them. However, today's library culture is very noisy. If you walk in a typical library, you would heard noise everywhere. Some of the noise that you can hear can range from cellular phones to people talking.
The elimination of silence in the library has cause librians to accept this new norm. Today, I considered libraries as more of a social center than just a place for information for your term paper. I see it as a place to hang out for a few minutes before you next class rather than a place to study. It is difficult for myself to study for a test or read a book that I have to find other places outside the library such as my dorm room. I remember when I used to attend Geneva College in Western Pennsylvania, the school's library did a good job of enforce silence. One of the reasons is that the library was once a chruch and chruch is a place where you have enforce silence.

No comments: