Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Journal Entry 5

In class we talked about how download is not optional since it's apart of us. I guess what this mean is that downloading is one of the main functions when using the computer. Even since the internet and cd burners emerged, people are starting to download music off the internet. I remember when it all started in the early 1990's the website napster where u can download music for free. Even though, the famous rock band, metallica have to sued napster to get it shut down, there are more website offering you free music downloads. Even though, it is illegal to download music from the internet for free, there are some benefits of doing so. First of all, why would u spend between 9 to 15 bucks on an album that might sucks. I listen mostly rap music and rap music isn't lyrical as good as it was back in the day due to the recently emergence of a new hip hop genre called snap music. Another reason, you can find albums from these websites especially the classics what you can find in your local record store.
Another example why download is not an opiton when using your computer is that you frequently have to make upgrades on the softwares that you use. I remember early today while I was on my computer, a pop up window show up on my computer screen and said that I have 30 days to renew my Norton Internet Security or else it will expired. I recalled the itunes on my computer always harassing about every 2 months for upgrade. The purpose of upgrading through downloading is related to Charles Darwin's ideology of social darwinism where in order to survive you must willing to adapt to change.

No comments: