Sunday, February 10, 2008

MP3 vs. CDs

In class, we talked about Device Paradigm. Albert Borgmann mentioned Device Paradigm in the book. In the book, he stated that technology is in our comptempary life. Modern technology tends to take form in devices that are increasing accepted by the average consumers. I remember when the MP3 player first came out, I didn't imagine choosing a cd player over a mp3 for many reasons. First of all, the price for a MP3 player such as an iPod was very expensive of the time which I couldn't afford. Next I was used to the compact disc. Also if I wanted to listen music in my car from a MP3player I would have pay at least two hundred dollars to install my MP3 player.

I remember when my mother got me an iPod for christmas two years ago, I immediately abondoned the cd player. One of the reason why I prefer MP3 players over the cd players is that I can hold up to 7500 songs on my ipod comparing to a cd that can hold up to 20 songs depending how long each song is. Another reason is that having a MP3 player eliminates the cost of spending money on blank cd to burn. Also with a MP3player such as an iPod, I don't have worry about changing the battery every time the cd player ran out of power where you can charge up your ipod with a laptop. I learned that they are altenatives besides installing a two hundred dollar MP3 player in your car. At Electronic appliance stores such as CompUSA and Best Buy you can an itrip which is a device that you hook up your MP3 player to your cigarette lighter and play music off the car radio. I guess that you can compare this to Charles Darwin's theory of social darwinism.

No comments: