Thursday, April 06, 2006

Reflection on Idhe

Idhe, like Borgmann and Dreyfus, is a philosopher who does not believe that technology is a value neutral tool that can be applied to just one thing. Idhe views technology as several small manifestions (techonologies) rather than one huge force (Technology). He talks about a sensory perception or micropercetption, meaning technology is always there whether we are aware of it or not. I agree with this aspect of his view on technology as I often find myself doing or using things without technically realizing it. Idhe provides the example of someone who wears glasses, which overtime become apart of them and the person does not even realize they are there anymore. I am one of those people who has to wear glasses and after they have been on for awhile, I forget they are even there and I can't even feel them. I also wear contacts more often and though they help me view the world in a new way as I otherwise could not see very well, I don't even think about them being there. According to Idhe we are mediated to the world through technology, which shapes our environment. Though it is out of our control that we relate to the world, we can change technologies by conducting experiments which then allow us to reflect on how technology shapes our relation to the world and others. It is through these experiments that Idhe believes we can make any needed changes in technology. I tend to agree with Idhe on this aspect as well, as experimental results can make an impression on the way in which we are living, providing us with information to make changes.

No comments: